Lake Atitlan from the San Pedro Volcano

Lake Atitlan from the San Pedro Volcano
Lake Atitlan from the San Pedro Volcano

04 November 2006

Squeeze

Just got off the phone with Paul. He’s this guy who has been doing sports ministry in Sweden for the last 15 years.

Coming here, I wasn’t sure what finding a church or fellowship would look like. All my teammates I’ve talked to about going to church are quite accepting in just talking about it. Church seems kind of like this “other.” Something that some people go to sometimes, something that’s respected, but just not something most people choose to know more about (Jasmina… if you’re reading this… is that a fair take? :)). That’s all fine with me, it’s all on God’s schedule anyhoo. It’s just as of yet, I feel like I haven’t had a really satisfying conversation about God with anyone here. I feel like most conversations with “church” or “God” seem to fizzle out.

Well, things changed today when Paul emailed me and now just called. He is located about 3.5 hours north of here. He played hockey at the University of Michigan and then professionally in the states and abroad for a while. Now he is doing ministry here in Sweden. He was so good to talk to… just to be able to talk to someone who holds the same priority in life. I am doing ok in reading books, my Bible, and spending time in silence with God (it’s refreshing and challenging to spend such chunks of time alone with Him), but God really does call us to be in fellowship with others too. Not until Paul started talking about his experiences and how God is working throughout his life here did I just feel this pulling in my heart. Kind of hard to explain… but, I think it was a combination of desires working… wanting to be able to listen to and talk with others who share this love of Christ, and also feeling like I could have conversations with people who don’t really know God, but might want to. I could feel more than ever this desire to live as His student and servant. It was awesome and amazing and the grip of it was surprising to me. Anyway, Paul knows of some churches and pastors in Stockholm, so hopefully I’ll meet up with them soon. I think I may take a trip up north to visit him and the groups he fellowships with sometime soon too. I am ever so thankful for the time of solitude I’ve had and will continue to have. I am also excited to meet other people who desire to live their lives for our Lord! I pray that I will submit to God and be there to serve Him – in everything!… that He will do with me as He desires and that He’ll use me someway, somehow. And, yes, I appreciate all your prayers too! Thanks :)

No comments: