Lake Atitlan from the San Pedro Volcano

Lake Atitlan from the San Pedro Volcano
Lake Atitlan from the San Pedro Volcano

08 February 2012

The rain continues...


Let us acknowledge the LORD; 
let us press on to acknowledge him.
As surely as the sun rises, he will appear;
he will come to us like the winter rains,
like the spring rains that water the earth.
-Hosea 6:3


It has been sunny everyday that I have been here. I don’t think it rains too often during winter here. So it is a special day when it does. The thunder and lightning continued all night long. Multiple times I woke to the boom and flash of light that I’ve grown to miss so much while living in California. Having the day off from the hospital, I planned to sleep in. When I woke around 7:30am, the rain had slowed to an occasional sprinkle and puddles could be seen everywhere. I’ve always loved running in the rain and though I’ve been working to get over a head cold, I thought what better way to commune with God in the moment than go for a jog. I’m sure I elicited some strange looks directed my way, but I was excited to be hopping over puddles and finding sure places to put my feet. The air was a welcome relief from most days because even though there was still much exhaust from the vehicles, the normally constant layer of dust had been beaten down by thousands of raindrops. I ran on narrow dirt roads and wide paved roads, dodging taxis, buses, bicycles, and children waiting for school buses. Not too long after returning home, did the steady rain start again – resounding with an occasional boom of thunder.

Today I have no plans. I love days like that. They do not happen frequently enough. Correction – I had one plan - to talk with David! We skyped after returning from my jog and the strangest thing happened: our video call that was initially working just fine decided to make me mute. I could see and hear David and he could see me, but he could not hear me. Definitely was interesting to have a conversation where head movements and facial expressions became the only way I could communicate.

With the rain coming down hard, I’m happy to stay curled up inside. Better yet, Miley our “house mom” offered to cook a meal for Alice (a housemate) and myself. We pieced together what food we had on hand. I had bought lentils and rice in hopes that someday I would get to experience Miley’s cooking – today was the day!  We had only to walk ten steps to the kitchen to enjoy a hot delicious meal; all three of us eating together.


I’m not sure what I will do this afternoon. Libby is gone with her parents to Nagarkot and possibly Bhaktapur, though I’m not sure how their plans have changed with the abnormal weather.  I’m thankful for this day of rest and reflection. 


No comments: