Lake Atitlan from the San Pedro Volcano

Lake Atitlan from the San Pedro Volcano
Lake Atitlan from the San Pedro Volcano

25 March 2007

Saint Theresa


















March 25, 2007 11:23pm

This morning my great-grandmother died. I was lying in bed just now unable to fall asleep and I couldn’t stop thinking about her and about Gramp lying alone in bed. It could be the first time in over 70 years that he hasn’t had her sleeping by his side. I cannot even imagine what he must be feeling. My heart goes out to everyone who ever knew her, but especially to him. Great-Grandma was an amazing woman. She was a magnificent mother and wife: selfless, loving, and strong. I picture her playing cards in Auntie Linda’s pool-house, sitting at the bar in our house on Beaumont Highway during many different family gatherings and just laughing and laughing and being smart as a cookie, riding in that convertible and wishing that her hair wouldn’t get messed up by the wind, making the countless trips to NFA to watch my many high school basketball games, hitting the tennis ball like no other!, and just making everyone feel so loved. As my mom so perfectly described to me earlier today, my great-grandmother was a living example of unconditional love. I’ll never forget her great big, beautiful brown eyes and her soft, soft skin. I too will never forget the taste of her delicious butterscotch cookies. My favorite. I feel so blessed to have been able to know my great-grandmother. She is an inspiration to us all about how to live a selfless, loving life. My thoughts and prayers go out to all our family, and especially to Gramp. Yes, Gramp, you two are the King and Queen of Romance – and that will never change! Great-Grandma, I will miss you dearly.

No comments: