Lake Atitlan from the San Pedro Volcano

Lake Atitlan from the San Pedro Volcano
Lake Atitlan from the San Pedro Volcano

05 December 2006

Everyday

December 5, 2006 15:37

Sitting in lab again! Incubating a strain of bacteria in hopes that they will take up a bit of DNA I’m inducing them to incorporate into their genome. I’m trying to make a mutant strain so that I can test what happens when a certain gene is deleted. After the incubation period I am going to spread the bacteria on a blood agar plate and hope that some transformants grow. I hope it works; I’ve never done this before!

This morning we had shooting practice and tonight practice again. We won’t get to see the guys’ game because we practice at the same time as they play. They’ve had 3 games in 5 days, and we haven’t had any games for close to 10 days! Crazy. Needless to say, I am very excited for the game tomorrow!

I mailed in my application to be a Summer Cara at Barretstown Camp in Ireland. The website for the camp is www.barretstown.org. From exploring the website and talking to a doctor who has volunteered at the camp for a number of years, the camp seems to be a place that I would just love to be. I hope they will offer me a spot on their team, if not though… that’s ok. God knows what’s best.

What else… I borrowed a dvd from the Stadsbiblioteket yesterday and watched it last night. Called “The Company,” the dvd was all about ballet with very little dialogue, though the dialogue that did occur was in English and subtitles were in Swedish. I love to watch ballet, so it was interesting to see. Plus, watching a movie provides time to knit as well : ) Tonight Grey’s Anatomy is on television here… episodes from the second season. I most likely will watch that after I get home from practice. I don’t actually watch that much TV at all, rather I’m still enjoying to read. Right now I am reading “Charming Billy” by Alice McDermott. Anybody ever read it?

Not really any more updates from over here. I’m beginning to fall into more of a routine with practice, labwork, and other exciting in-between events. Of course still very thankful to be here and still too looking forward to some visitors sometime : ) Hej då!

No comments: