Lake Atitlan from the San Pedro Volcano

Lake Atitlan from the San Pedro Volcano
Lake Atitlan from the San Pedro Volcano

18 November 2006

saturday

November 18, 2006 7:12pm

Well, I didn’t get yarn and needles today; but, we did make it to the store. Only problem… today is Saturday and the store is only open Monday thru Friday. There’s always next week.

I had lunch today with Lily… she’s a Canadian I met at church last weekend who is here in Stockholm for 6 months on a project with Ericsson. When we met last week, we thought it would be fun to meet up again and take some time to get to know each other a little better. She’s pretty busy with work during the week, so meeting up this afternoon seemed perfect. We walked around Slussen a bit, and then ended up eating at this terrific little café that I might never have wondered into had we not just been strolling about. It’s really great just to stroll, you know?! People are always walking so fast with such a mission all the time. We all know this, and yet we don’t slow down. Well, try it some day. Just slow down : )

Lily reads all the travel guides – well, especially the LonelyPlanet Guide to Stockholm. It’s great… cause she knows about all these terrific little places to find good sushi, yummy seafood soup, and other fun little stops. She normally works in Montreal, but took on this assignment here for half a year. She’s already been away to Paris for a weekend and she has a bunch more trips planned during her time here. She loves to travel! And, I love to hear about her stories! It’s cool to find someone else who also loves to do new things and experience new places. I’m happy we met. We’ll probably hang out again sometime, explore some other place. That would be fun.

This afternoon I made it to the Stockholm Tourist Info Center… this time to buy this “culture card.” Most tourists buy the Stockholm Card which provides transportation to and entry into many museums throughout the Stockholm area; however, the card is only valid for 1 – 3 days (depending on what you buy). The card I bought today allows for discounted entry into many museums throughout Sweden and is valid until May. Perfect.

I then ventured into the Gallerian to hit up the frozen yogurt place. I love froyo, if you know me then you know that, and I haven’t had any since being here. Well, worked out great because I bought a cup of froyo (chocolate and pistachio), sat down on a bench, and pulled out my laptop just for kicks to see if there was a wireless connection. Yup, I was connected!

I tried to talk to my dad on skype, but he wasn’t there. However, the Klenows were. Yay! And, I started chatting with Christine and Pete just in time… in a few hours from when I was chatting with them (probably right about now!) Christine was going in to the hospital to have her little baby girl!! Yay!!!! I’m so excited for them!! I can’t wait to see pictures of Zuzu… that’s what everyone calls her right now, but not for too much longer – soon everyone will know her real name : ) Anyway, congrats to Pete, Christine, and Quinn. Welcome Zuzu!!

This evening will be pretty chill. I just watched the latest episode of Grey’s Anatomy (another good one, actually really good one, of course!). Now I’ll probably read some, maybe fill out my application for Barretstown, and maybe find something else to occupy some time with before I get a good night sleep (hopefully). I haven’t been sleeping great, but I think that’s cause I’ve been getting so much of it (sleep!). I don’t think I’ve ever had so much time to sleep in my life, but who knows – maybe that will change soon… I’m currently planning on attending the lab meeting on Monday and maybe soon I will get to spend more and more time doing research too!

Enjoy your weekend!

No comments: